Here are some pictures of my newly created (and thoroughly magnetized) Warhammer: Age of Sigmar Seraphon Stegadon/Engine of the Gods model.
This miniature boasts sixteen magnets.
Four 1x1mm neodymium magnets for the mountable flamethrowers
Twelve 2x1mm neodymium magnets:
Two on the base to hold the spare Alpha/Priest
Two per Alpha/Priest (feet)
Two in the skink’s contraption to hold the active Alpha/Priest
Two in the Stegadon’s back, to switch between:
Decorative headpiece (used with flamethrowers)
The model can be converted between three configurations using magnets:
Stegadon - with Flamethrowers
Stegadon - with Crossbow
Engine of the Gods
By adding magnets all over the model, I was able to achieve a dual-function model, something I’m quite proud of.
This was my first time magnetizing a model. I learned a lot. I’m writing this blog mostly as a way to recap what I’ve learned.
Use eBay to buy magnets. Amazon is not great.
Use a hand drill, not a powered drill, for more precision.
Don’t be afraid to use green stuff liberally to fill in your mistakes
1x1mm magnets are not strong enough to hold much weight
2x1mm magnets, on the other hand, are perfectly strong enough for most applications
Stick your magnets together and mark the ends with a sharpie.
Never trust your previous markings - always test the magnet polarity before affixing them.
I learned this multiple times.
Magnetizing things is fun!
Here are some pictures from the build:
I can’t wait to use this guy in an upcoming battle. Being able to alternate between model types will be awesome for future replayability.
While the model technically is lacking an Engine, I’ve made up for that with lore! You see, the Engine on this particular model broke down many years ago and was discarded. The mighty Skink Priest was so clever and determined to succeed that he managed to channel the spirit of the Engine through himself.
So, the Skink Priest == Engine, on this model. Don’t think too much about it.
My girlfriend wanted to combine three tables in Excel. They all existed in the same workbook. There are three different tabs with data, all with the same headers.
The Failed Attempts
Somewhat unbelievably, it is very difficult to join these three tables in Excel and perform operations on the data. There are many ways to unsuccessfully skin this cat, including:
Long IFERROR/INDEX formulas that bring data over from other tabs
Doesn’t allow for filtering or sorting, very breakable, not dynamically scalable to multiple sheets
Not very dynamic, doesn’t work for this purpose well
Pivot tables don’t offer the ability to display raw data - only aggregate numbers.
The Working Solution
I ended up pulling together a VBA script to copy and paste the data from each sheet into the Master sheet. It is very simple. I cannot believe Excel doesn’t offer this functionality built-in.
There are a few steps to the script:
It creates a sheet named “Master”, if one doesn’t already exist.
The script clears the existing text from “Master” in preparation for the next step.
It copies the content of each sheet in the workbook to “Master” - starting each sheet on the second row.
Starting on the second row allows you to use headers without copying them over.
Sheets are copied in the order that they appear in the workbook.
Done! Enjoy your merged tables.
If you don’t care about code and just want a sample workbook, here’s your chance.
Below, I’ve embedded the full contents of the macro that can power this feature. You can drop this macro into your Excel workbook and begin merging tables immediately.
The sample workbook has a button provided hooked up to ThisWorkBook.RunMe. The RunMe subroutine will create a “Master” sheet (if it doesn’t already exist), and then copy data from every other sheet in the workbook over.
If you want to extend this script, I have commented it pretty thoroughly.
If you want to change the name of the generated sheet, change the masterSheetName in the RunMe subroutine.
If you add more columns to your tables, make sure to adjust the subroutine ClearMasterSheet - it currently clears A2:H9999. Adjust to your needs.
Here is my working, production design for an AWS architecture capable of receiving 360 degree panoramic 8k video via an RTMP endpoint and live-streaming at varying bitrates and resolutions to various client devices. The architecture also includes an archiving step for users that may find it necessary.
The client records stunning 360 video (preferably using a Bonsai Excalibur) and uses OpenBroadcaster Software (OBS) to stream the feed to an AWS MediaLive RTMP endpoint. MediaLive offers dual ingest - two endpoints capable of receiving the stream.
MediaLive saves the incoming live stream to .ts files in S3. This allows us to support highly durable storage of important video files. These files will later be moved to Glacier to save on storage costs.
MediaLive compresses and transcodes the incoming streaming into various output formats that will support low and high bandwidth users. Everything from 320p to 8k video is supported!
MediaPackage uses the MediaLive channels to prepare the videos for distribution to various devices.
The live HLS streams are available via CloudFront endpoints - using a CDN cuts down on cost, and allows us to distribute high resolution video from low latency endpoints around the world.
Note: I am working on a CloudFormation script to automatically deploy this. More to come.